Skip to content

Recipe – Mosaic IPA

10/01/2015

MosaicIPAMaking

Trying new things is fun and for a home brewer who enjoys hoppy beers, brewing with a new variety of hop is always a treat. Most of the interesting varieties are of course available first in the states and usually it takes a year for some of the more in-demand varieties to reach the web-shop in Scandinavia that I use. One of the most talked about hop in the blogosphere has been Mosaic or HBC 369.  As the name suggests it seems to incorporate most of the “American” hop flavours, some that I have seen mentioned include mango, lemon, citrus, earthy pine, tropical fruit, herbal, stone fruit and even blueberry of all things. “Like Simcoe and Citra made love in a blueberry bush” was one rather poetic description that I recall.

So I was quite happy that I managed to buy half a kilogram of Mosaic the last time I shopped for hops. For some reason or another (too many brewing ideas I suppose) I didn’t get around to using them right away but now that the next years crop is getting closer it’s time to start using the 2013 hops in the freezer. I see some hoppy beers in the near future and at some point I think I’ll have to try a “kitchen-sink” IPA since I have quite a few leftovers from this beer and that.

Since Mosaic, according to the descriptions, has such a variety of flavours I wanted to first brew a single-hop IPA (not counting the bittering addition) to get a feel for it. I also decided to brew a full IPA with a fairly hefty gravity (at least for me), use 300 grams of what I have available and leave the rest to be paired with another hop in some other beer. Otherwise this brew is quite a standard IPA, the malt bill is Pale Ale malt with Munich and some wheat plus a very small addition of dextrose to dry the body. I’ve long since moved away from caramel malts in IPA’s since I feel that any sort of sweetness clashes with the hops. I also want the body to be dry since it accentuates the hop aroma, hence the dextrose and mashing low (64C/147F). For yeast I’m using Mangrove Jacks West Coast M44 that worked well in my Double-ish West Coast IPA. It did have a long lag time but when it got going it resulted in a clean fermentation character and high attenuation.

Hopstand

I tried a long 60 minute hop stand for this beer.

 

Here is the recipe :

—————-
Target Batch Size (Litres/Gallons): 17.00 / 4,49
Total Grain (Kg/Pounds):  3,4 / 7,5
Anticipated OG: 1,053
Anticipated SRM: 4,5
Anticipated IBU: 57,7 (hop-stand not included)
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Fermentables
—————–
82,4%      – 2,8 kg / 6,17 lbs Pale Ale malt, Viking
8,8%        – 0,3 kg / 0,66 lbs Munich malt, Weyermann
5,9%        – 0,2 kg / 0,44 lbs Wheat malt, Weyermann
2,9%        – 0,1 kg / 0,22 lbs Dextrose

Hops
——–
30g /  1,05 oz. Columbus (14,0 % AA) plug @ 60 minutes for 57,7 IBU

100g / 3,5 oz. Mosaic (12,2 % AA) pellet @ Hop-stand for 60 minutes

120g / 4,2 oz. Mosaic (12,2 % AA) pellet Dry hop for 4 days

80g /  2,8 oz. Mosaic (12,2 % AA) pellet Dry hop in the keg

Extras

———-
½ Teaspoon Irish moss @ 10 Min.
½ Teaspoon of yeast nutrient @ 10 Min.
2g / 0,07 oz. Calcium Chloride in the mash
8g / 0,28 oz. of Gypsum in the mash

Yeast
———
Mangrove Jack West Coast M44 Rehydrated

Mash
———————–
23 Litre BIAB @ 64 Celsius for 60 mins (6,07 Gal/147F)

10/1/15 Uneventful brew, overshot the OG with 4 points (have to tweak the evaporation rate in my software). Added boiled water, OG at 1.054. Shook for two minutes and added the re-hydrated yeast. Lifted to fermentation freezer set at 18C/64F. The pellets didn’t smell quite as strong as some of the American varieties.

11/1/15  No sign of fermentation at 18 hours from pitching the yeast.

12/1/15 Slight bubling in the morning, I was prepared to pitch another yeast but luckily the M44 woke up.

13/1/15 Slight krausen formed and fermentation evident, though not very aggressive, just slight swirling.

17/1/15 Fermentation seemed to be almost over, just a few occasional bubble and the krausen has fallen. Decided to add the dry hopping at this point. Optimally I would  take a gravity reading but I managed to drop and break my thief so can’t do that…

20/1/15 Raised the temperature to 20C/68F for 24 hours to help the yeast clean up.

21/1/15 Dropped the temperature to 5C/41F to cold crash the beer.

22/1/15 Flushed a keg with the packed second dry hops with CO2 and racked the beer in to it with a CO2 flushed cane. Lifted to the kegerator to carbonate. FG = 1.010, ABV ~5,8%, apparent attenuation 81%.

Turned out to be really interesting, tasting here.

Advertisements

From → Recipes

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: